Leather Topcoat & Sealer
Our Topcoat (No.7) is a clear protective coating for leather.
- A clear finishing coat for use over leather paints and dyes
- Seals dyes to prevent dye transfer
- Improves rub resistance and protects colour coatings against general wear
- Durable, flexible, breathable, soft to touch and looks beautiful
- Reduces the absorption of spills, body oil and perspiration
- For use on most leathers (excludes nubuck and suede)
- Water-based, fast-drying, self-leveling, and easy to apply
- Apply 2 coats by sponge or spray gun
- Choose between 4 levels of shine; Matte, Satin, Gloss and High Gloss
- Matte finish is best applied by spray gun
- Satin finish is low sheen and the most common finish
- Mixable; create your own unique finish
- Can be mixed with leather colourants and Dulling Agent (No.30)
Leather is flexible and so is our tannery-grade topcoat. It is suitable for use on sofas, car seats, steering wheels, apparel, bags and other leather items.
If in doubt, go Satin
The 2 most common finishes on furnishings are Satin and Gloss. The 2 most common finishes on car seats are Matte and Satin. Note: Topcoat Matte is quite flat and although it can be applied by hand, it is best applied by spray gun to avoid streaking.
Suitable for use on most types of leather. Ideal for use on pigmented, synthetic materials, semi-anilines and when repairing or restoring waxed and aniline leathers. Not suitable for use on most nubucks and all suedes.
50ml: Small touch-ups, 1 x armrest, 1 x seat cushion top
125ml: 1 car seat or 2-3 x standard sofa seats
250ml: 1 x 2 seater or 3 x standard seat cushions plus 2 armrests
500ml: 1 x 3 seater sofa,
1L: 1 x 5-8 seater lounge suite plus ottoman or chaise, 1 x large modular sofa
2L: 2 x large multi piece lounge suites or multiple jobs
3L: Multiple large jobs
Note: Coverage estimates are approximate. Coverage is affected by a number of variables such as the type and condition of your leather, and the method of application. Your job may require more or less product.
1) Apply using a sponge or spray gun to thoroughly clean or freshly dried painted or dyed leather.
2) To apply by sponge, pour some Topcoat (No.7) onto a sponge, squeeze to incorporate, then wipe using light pressure over one area at a time. Allow to dry (30 mins to 1 hours). A hair dryer can be used to speed drying times.
3) Apply a second coat to ensure full and even coverage. A third coat can be applied to high traffic areas if desired
4) Wait 7 days before applying leather conditioner; Nourish (No.2) for pigmented leathers, Nubuck, Suede & Aniline Nourish (No.11) for unfinished leathers.
Ideal for: Sealing, protecting and finishing leather. Offers increased rub-resistence to colour coatings and seals dyes to prevent dye transfer.
Can also be used on aniline, semi-aniline and waxed leathers when colouring with leather paint or dyes.
Finish: Available in Matte, Satin, Gloss and High Gloss
Use with: Leather Paint, Aniline Dye Stains, Colour Restoration Creams plus the full refinishing system in our Repair & Recolour Kits.
Application schedule: Reapply as needed to new, freshly painted or dyed leather.
Application method: Pour onto a sponge then wipe evenly over the surface. Can also be applied by fine paint brush for detailed work or by spray gun.
Best accessories: A sponge.
Instructions: On the labels, Directions for Use tab and under the How To tab in the main menu
Drying time: 1 coat = 30 minutes - 1 hour. Can be force dried with a hair dryer, a room heater or gentle sunshine. When applied over several coats of freshly applied colour, all extra drying time.
Time before use: wait 48 hours
Available in kits: Yes
Protect your work area and wear gloves
Avoid disturbing the coating whilst drying
Can be mixed with leather paint and aniline dyes
If the application of Topcoat disturbs the colour coatings, the colour coatings need more drying time.
If you have purchased a topcoat that is shinier than you require, Dulling Agent can be used to reduce the level of shine
If you have purchased Matte topcoat, be sure to use Dulling Agent in your Leather Paint to align the level of shine of both coatings
Matte Topcoat is best applied by spray gun. If hand application appears streaky, apply one full coat and allow drying. For the second coat (and third if needed) try mixing 10-20% leather paint into the Topcoat.
Test before use: Always test products in an inconspicuous area first. There are many makers of leather and leather coatings and whilst most are to standard, there may be some that are not.
Storage: Lid on tight and away from direct UV light and heat (in a cool dark cupboard). Avoid contaminating the contents with baterial sources including skin.
Buy it with
A protective finish
With high rub-resistance, this clear topcoat seals and protects leather and coatings.
It can be applied by hand using a sponge or by spray gun.
Australian made, water-based, fast drying, self-leveling, soft to touch, flexible and durable, this topcoat is a tannery-grade finish.
If in doubt, go Satin
The most common finish on furnishings is Satin.
Matte and Gloss finish are less common with High Gloss being the least common finish.
When it comes to car leathers, Satin and Matte are most typical.
Apparel and handbags come in a wide range of finishes.
Compare our Protectors
Not sure if Topcoat (No.7) is the one you want? Here's an overview of our protectors.
This protector is suitable for use on most leathers including some anilines. It is an n invisible wipe-on cream that:
- provides an anti-soiling barrier (makes it hard for dirt to stick to the leathers surface)
- slows the absorption of transferred dye and ink
- UV protection to minimise the fading and drying effects of the sun
- leather stays cleaner for longer
- makes cleaning easier
- slows the absorbtion of spills
It is reapplied every 3 months after cleaning and conditioning. It's ideal for cars, furnishings, apparel, bags and more. The finish is satiny.
Protect (No.3) can be used over Topcoat (No.7) and Water Repellent (No.23).
Check out Protect (No.3) HERE.
This protector is a wipe-on coating, suitable for most leathers and fabrics that :
- repels water spills, splashes and short rain exposure
- help to prevent water marks
- minimises the potential for leather to harden as a result of lots of water exposure
It is reapplied every 3 - 6 months after cleaning. Ideal for cars, furnishings, apparel, footwear and leather that is exposed to splashes. The finish is low sheen.
Use over Topcoat (No.7) and before your preferred conditioner then Protect (No.3).
Can be applied over Topcoat (No.7) and before your preferred conditioner and Protect (No.3).
Check out Water Repellent (No.23) HERE.
This is a clear film-forming PU leather coating for pigmented (painted/coated) leathers that :
- provides maximum rub resisitence to extend the longevity of colour coatings and reduce wear and tear from abrasion
- finishes leather paint with an appealing look and feel
- seals dyes to prevent dye transfer to skin or clothing
- is the same as the clear finishing coat applied to your pigmented leather when it was manufactured in the tannery
- protects leather and coatings to reduce the absorption of spills, body oil and perspiration
Available in Matte, Satin, Gloss, and High Gloss. Correct surface prep is vital to durable results.
It can be used under Water Repellent (No.23) and Protect (No.3) (in that order).
All conditioners add a minor element of protection against dryness, spills, water marks and stains when used regularly.
Excellent result. Follow instructions given paying attention to drying & curing times & the results are fantastic.
It’s ok but,l put it on my steering wheel and after a couple of days my hands were dirty so I wipe it off with metho , the sealer came off . So I reapplied it again . Next time I’ll clean it with water
Great product. Job done ! Very clear instructions for use sent to my email made it much easier. Thanks !