How to restore a black leather jacket
If you have a faithful, beautiful, timeless, designer or knock-about black leather jacket that needs some love, here’s a step-by-step guide to restoring it. Banish scuffs, marks, fading and general surface wear and give your favourite leather jacket a new lease on life.
Black Jacket Reviver (No.18)
This intense potion is a black restoring cream that coats leather with colour and finish. It boosts faded blacks, covers minor scratches and scuffs and leaves a protective coating.
- Easy to apply by sponge
- Sheer to nearly complete coverage
- Does not rub off onto clothing
- Ideal for replenishing and reintensifying your black leather apparel and accessories
1) Cleanse (No.1). Spot & Prep (No.4) can also be used in some cases
2) Black Jacket Reviver (No.18)
1) Clean to remove soiling
2) Apply Black Jacket Reviver in layers to build as little or as much coverage as you require
Pour Cleanse (No.1) onto a cloth or spray onto one area at a time. If the leather is soiled, gently agitate the cleaner into the grain using a soft bristle brush or scourer – don’t rub. If the scourer seems too course, rub it on a hard surface to flatten and soften the fibres. Treat delicate leathers with care.
Wipe clean with a cloth and allow to dry.
Sand any minor surface imperfections
If there are any scuffs or damaged areas, lightly sand to remove any loose matter and smooth the area. This step also opens the pores of the leather which can help to improve thepenetrationand adhesion of the products. Use a cloth to wipe away any sanding dust
Apply product onto an applicator
Pour some Black Jacket Reviver (no.18) on to an applicator sponge.
wipe over leather
Using moderate pressure and even strokes, apply to one area at a time. Complete one side then flip the jacket and do the reverse side.
Continue until all areas are coated. Allow drying. Continue coating until you have achieved your preferred level of coverage for your job. Alowing drying between each coat.
- Tape up the edge of the lining and metal parts with masking tape to avoid over-painting.
- Protect the workspace because BJR carries a potent colour punch.
- With care, you can use a hairdryer, gentle sunshine or a room heater to speed up drying. Normal drying time is 30-60 mins.
- Clean up metal parts with a cloth and Cleanse (No.1).
- Optional: To extend durability and give extra protection water protection, add 2 coats of clear Topcoat (No.7).
The leather is showing signs of colour wear as well as UV fading. The coatings are dull, scuffed and brittle.
Now clean, smooth and freshly coated with intensely black leather colourant that won't rub off onot clothing. The leather looks rejuvenated and protected. The finish is sleek and refined because it's made for leather.
Jackets, handbags, footwear, belts and pretty much any black leather or vinyl accessories can be given a colour boost using Black Jacket Reviver (No.18).
Containing both dyes and pigments, it stains and coats simultaneously.
- Wait 7-14 days or test that the coatings have cured then condition and protect.
For minimal shine, opt for Nubuck, Suede & Aniline Nourish (No.11), for a well-maintained look with subtle shine, choose Nourish (No.2) or for more shine, Waxy Nourish (No.11). For an anti-soiling and UV barrier plus some water repellence, apply Protect (No.3).
- Recoat as needed. It's easy to clean and refresh anytime.
“Thanks heaps – I love this jacket but have been annoyed at the fading for years. Really appreciate such a great product :)”
“Wow – I have just used the repair kit to restore a much loved leather jacket. So quick, easy and I am amazed at how the jacket looks like new. Could not be happier with the product”
Black Jacket Reviver
Black Jacket Reviver (No.18)
Black is back! Recoat your black leather jacket, apparel or handbag. This leather cleaner and all-in-one wipe-on leather colourant restores rich black colour to tired, worn and faded black leather.
- An intensely black coating for black leather
- Gives leather a black colour boost
- Disguises cosmetic blemishes such as colour wear, scuffs and scratches
- Balances UV fading
- Cleanse (No.1) removes soiling before colouring
- Seals and protects
- Satin finish. Can be dulled with Dulling Agent (No.30) or shinier with Topcoat (No.7) Gloss or High Gloss (sold separately)
- Water-based, fast drying, and Australian made
- Easy to use; apply by sponge to prepped leather
- Wear resistant
Revamp your black leather
Give your favourite black leather jacket a seriously good make-over with this professional grade, self-levelling, non-transferring, quick-drying colourant. It’s ideal for recoating black leather jackets and other small projects. Imparting an intense colour boost it diminishes the appearance of surface wear and blemishes.
A finish that looks like it belongs
Clean thoroughly first. A soft brush can be used to remove any surface soiling, waxes, silicones and oils that might prohibit optimal coatings adhesion. Then, apply 1 or more coats of Black Jacket Reviver (No.18) per the needs of your job. Coverage builds with each additional coat. This clever formulation renders a showroom finish that doesn't look thick, chunky or amateur.
This content type will accept rich text to help with adding styles and links to additional pages or content. Use this to add supplementary information to help your buyers.
You can use product metafields to assign content to this tab that is unique to an individual product. Use tabs to highlight unique features, sizing information, or other sales information.